Dizziness and headache. Low on vitamin. On betacap TR. Are there side effects?

My doctor suggested me to use Betacap TR 80mg. If I take it in night, I get diziness and severe headache sometimes. I'm 34 and my heart rate is 110 Bpm. I'm little low on Vitamin B12 (vegetarian) and started taking Methylcobalmin 50mg at nights.

If I take Betacap TR 80mg in the mornings, I feel better.

I would like to know more about this betacap TR 80mg and if there are any side effects.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing some good information and recommendations’ regarding what is going on.

Regarding the dose and the side effects of Betacap TR, if I were to be your treating doctor, I would recommended you to start from a small dose like 20-40 mg and then gradually increase to 80 mg/day. Betacap can cause slow heart rates and reduction in the blood pressure. As the heart rates are more during activities and day time it may be better to use in the day time for reducing the rate rather than in the night.

For now, I would suggest you to discuss with your treating doctor and to start with low dose which may be gradually increased with regular monitoring of the heart rate and blood pressure. Stop increasing the dose if > 25% reduction in the heart rates and BP occurs.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist