Dizziness and confusion, feeling of low blood sugar levels after long time without food. Is this hypoglycemia?

Infertility Specialist
I have experienced low blood sugar feelings with dizziness and confusion 3 - 4 times over the past 6 months. The day after I have only 1-2 drinks it feels like I have had way more than that. These occurrences coincide with long hours between eating which I know can not be good but I have never had confusion to where I could not finish a sentence and panic like attack symptoms as well. Could this be hypoglycemia? Is my body starting to not process normally?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 23 minutes later

You are absolutely right about eating after long hours. Not eating regularly at frequent intervals leads to hypoglycemia. Alcohol does not provide sufficient calories and other nutrients required for body. Hence please have balanced food at regular intervals. Do not starve yourself. You seem to be getting malnourished due to lack of balanced diet.

If you wish to know about hypoglycemia, please get ‘random blood sugar' tested when you feel weak and other symptoms you mentioned. Also you get complete blood count done which will diagnose conditions like anemia. Get a fasting blood sugar done to rule out diabetes. If all tests are normal there may not be any reason to worry. It’s just lack of food and hypoglycemia during those hours.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.