Diverticulosis, sinusitis symptoms present, weakness, nausea, done CT scan for lower back and hips. Is it arthritis?

I've been feeling not well lately. Digestion problems, morning nausea and retching, diarrhea, lots of mucus from the throat and nose, and stiffness. A CT Scan revealed mainly arthritis in lower back and hips. Nothing of note in abdomenal area other than some diverticulosis. i can feel the stiffness in my body as well as in my fingers and heel. But can arthritis make me feel sick generally? to the point of weakness, nausea, copious mucus? One odd symptom -- tenderness in my mid-back that is sore to the touch, and seems to be the source of the nausea ... is that arthritis?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Arthritis is commonly seen due to the age related degenerative changes in the joints. Arthritis usually presents with joint pain, stiffness and sometimes tenderness.
The disease as such does not cause general problems like weakness, nausea, copious mucus, etc. Taking PPIs should help you but if there is no relief, then we should start looking for other possible causes like anemia, hiatus hernia, IBS, allergic rhinitis, etc. All these problems need thorough evaluation under the guidance of your physician and some blood tests and endoscopy are entailed.
Tenderness in the mid back can be due to arthritis only or may be indicative of a spine pathology like chronic infection or disc prolapse. Going for an MRI will help in making the situation clear.
Meanwhile you can take mild pain killers for the pain and do a hot fomentation to relieve stiffness.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Diverticulosis, sinusitis symptoms present, weakness, nausea, done CT scan for lower back and hips. Is it arthritis? 3 hours later
The symptoms develop in the early morning, i wake up, feel nauseous and have a bowel movement. my throat starts to feel tight and mucus develops, that i need to cough up it ususally gets very intense and i start to dry vomit for five minutes it is usually over in 1/2 hour -- what is that?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms are most likely due to chronic irritation either due to allergic causes or chronic irritation.
To help your symptoms, drink a glass of warm water in the morning and do a steam inhalation.

Taking anti allergics like fexofenadine will also help. Avoid eating dairy products. Daily nasal wash can help to reduce your symptoms.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Diverticulosis, sinusitis symptoms present, weakness, nausea, done CT scan for lower back and hips. Is it arthritis? 4 hours later
This has been going on for several months now so its really has me stressed. Could it also be psychological? i tend to worry about everything and have been having some unpleasant dreams.

Right now it's 7:30 am and i'm having the symptoms now. it always begins with a bowel movement- always. Immediately after i feel the nausea and mucus in throat and nose,,, could that be from acid being forced up? or possibly allergy to something in my room. i just drank a lot of water and that has lessened the feeling somewhat and avoided the retching for the moment so thanks for that ... i am also going to take what you suggested. Should i also take acid pills too? they give me a headache and feeling of tightness in stomach

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Taking the acid pills will help. It can be chronic sinusitis and an examination by an ENT specialist will be helpful. Your problem does not seem to be psychological.

Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage. Use a humidifier in your room.

Get anti inflammatory like montelukast prescribed from your ENT specialist for relief.