Disturbing news and loud noise makes my pulse rate vary. Do I have a low BP which is a disorder?

If i listen to a disturbing news, I feel that my pulse rate starts varying.
Even a loud voice/noise disturbs me a lot. My response during that period will be minimul as my brain functioning gets low and I feel that I am very scared of the situation which is actually not a big matter.

Two days ago i checked my BP with a digital meter and it showed 90/75
One more check the next day showed 105/70

Do i really have a low BP which is a diorder ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It is normal for the people to get a high pulse rate when they are scared or hear a sudden loud noise. This is the body's normal reaction to stress and is called as FIGHT OR FLIGHT response. This occurs due to the release of a hormone called adrenaline which increases the heart rate and thus the pulse rate.
As far as your blood pressure is concerned, it is normal and not something you need to worry about. Small variations in the blood pressure are normal and we must also keep in mind that the digital machines may not be perfectly calibrated.
However, I would also like to inform you that all these symptoms are exaggerated in people with some form of anxiety. To control your anxiety, please do the following:
a.     Yoga and XXXXXXX breathing ( pranayama) will help you reduce the anxiety
b.     Try and identify if something is troubling you. Very often, we all have some unresolved issues that need to be addressed. Try and resolve them with the help of family and friends
c.     Have a healthy and balanced diet. Avoid alcohol, coffee, tea and smoking.
d.     Continue exercising regularly.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Disturbing news and loud noise makes my pulse rate vary. Do I have a low BP which is a disorder? 43 minutes later
Also, i have to apply a small amount of force while breathing all the time as I have running nose all the time which blocks my nose (my nose has a narrow passge due to inclined bone inside).
Can this have an impact in any manner apart from breathing ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Blocked nose can cause some difficulty in breathing. Using saline nasal drop or alternative drops/sprays that are prescribed by an ENT surgeon can make you breathe better.

Hope this answers your query. If all your queries are answered, please accept the answer and close the discussion.

Wish you good health.

Thanks and Regards