Distinctive odor, find tissues from mouth of tan color and soft. What is it?

I chew once a day and every once and awhile I get this distinctive odor in my mouth. I occasionally hack up a piece of what looks like tissue from my throat. I don't know what it is!? The tissue is very soft and it looks oblong but always beige or XXXXXXX colored and it is smooth looking. Whatever this thing is, it is the cause of the odor because it smells terrible and gives me bad breath. I wonder if its a piece of my throats soft tissue or perhaps food. I doubt its food. As soon as I hack this little ball of whatever up, my throat feels clearer and the odor is gone from my breathe. What is this!!??
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A piece of foul smelling tissue like thing coming out from your mouth daily is less likely to be a food particle. It could be a part of tissue from some mouth ulcer located at the back of your mouth.
I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination and investigations to find out the cause of such fragile foul smelling tissue.
I suggest you to get an appointment from your ENT surgeon as soon as possible to know the nature of the lesion. Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.
Meanwhile to fight off the bad odour, you can use chlorhexidine mouth wash and follow general cleanliness measures for oral cavity.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Distinctive odor, find tissues from mouth of tan color and soft. What is it? 3 hours later
Is it possible there are strange stones coming from my tonsils? I believe I still have them. I have done some more searching and it seems tobacco user or not, people have experienced this strange "tissue stone" with a very bad smell because it is perfectly normal for your tonsils to produce them. Does this sound familiar?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The tonsils do contain stones sometimes but these are less likely to be foul smelling without any symptoms of infection like sore throat or fever.

Your throat needs to be examined to rule out these possibilities.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.