Distended stomach, abdominal pain. Taking Movicol and Lanzoprazole. Have heavy, white discharge

Jan 2013

hi there my stomach is largely distended and i have constant pain in lower left abdomen. it is sore when i go to the toilet just to push against the intestinal wall. i am and been on movicol (past 2 years) and it helps, and my bowels have moved in the past week but its very painful to contract. The bloating is there morning and night. I also am on lanzoprozole since 2010 after discovering 10 stomach ulcers. i try to avoid wheat. thank you. But the stomach distention at present is very big and the pain is in the left, it feels pressured and full. the bloating is more on the left. i eat a balanced and full diet and ensure i get fruits and vegetables in my diet. I would doubt this is linked, but discharge has changed, heavy and white.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Movicol contains polyetnylene glycol and which is a laxative and used in constipation.
Were you suffering from constipation in past years and thats why movicol was prescribed?
Have you undergone colonoscopy previously? What was the report?
Presence of constipation with abdominal bloating and heaviness suggest decreased intestinal movement.
Ulcer in stomach may also be associated with ulcer in large intestine also.
Pain in lower left abdomen may also be due to ulcer in intestine. Ulcer in large intestine may a part of same ulcers in stomach or may be due to fecolith impaction.
You should consult with physician / gastro-physician and should go for ultrasound imaging and x XXXXXXX abdomen as preliminary investigation.
Fecolith impaction may be seen in x XXXXXXX abdomen.
You should also go for thyroid function test, blood sugar, complete blood count, serum electrolytes, colonoscopy.
You should also follow dietary changes: avoid oily and spicy food, avoid milk in night times, take soft diet
Take plenty of water.
Do excessive physical activity as it will maintain intestinal movement.
You can take other stool softeners and prokinetics.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Abdominal distension with pain may also due to acute gastroenteritis.
Follow-up: Distended stomach, abdominal pain. Taking Movicol and Lanzoprazole. Have heavy, white discharge 34 hours later
Hi thank you for your reply. The stomach distention is very obvious (pregnant looking with or without the intake of food). But obviously eating may only exacberate the problem and the pain is just inside the left of my lower abdomen. My bowels have been moving but i was put on the movical 2 years ago due to bad bowel movements. I had a scan two years ago (ultrasound) and nothing showed up in bowels or anything - just acute inflammatory i think. i had no pain then.
I had no pain either at the time but had 10 stomach ulcers. I have been on lanzoprozole (30mg) once every 2 days since. Would this protect against future stomach ulcers... so perhaps i can rule the idea of stomach ulcer out? i do a good amount of physical activity for bowel and bone health however i have not got to over the summer as much due to tonsillitis reoccuring and being tired. I have never had a colonoscopy. I noticed the more prominent swelling in my abdomen over the past few weeks and the pain came just 2 weeks ago. would constipation pain last that long (in the left bowel - despite bowel movements going). Sorry to have so many questions. i just hate running to the GP if its not serious. Not sure what to do. Would you reccommend colonic irrigation? thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 18 minutes later
So you are a suffering from constipation.
You should consult with physician and gastro-physician and should go for thyroid profile and colonoscopy.
If you are getting regular bowel movements then there is least chances of fecolith impaction and ulcers.
You should continue your physical activity.
If all test are normal then there is also possibilities of IBS predominant constipation type.
Put your views, its interesting to make conversation with you.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava