Distended kidney and ureter in the abdominal ultrasound. RBC in blood. No bacteria. What does this mean?

I have had an abdominal ultrasound showing a very slightly distended right kidney and ureter. I just had a urinalysis that show red and white blood cells (moderate), and the microscopic results were 10-20 white and red blood cells each, and "many" epithelial cells. There was no bacteria present. What could this mean?
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later

The slight swelling on the kidney and the ureter suggests that you have obstruction somewhere in the ureter. This obstruction is causing the swelling due to back pressure. Urine microscopy also confirms that you have some pathology.

You need to be investigated with CT (Computed Tomography) urogram to delineate the cause of your obstruction and tailor your further management accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further