Distended belly, abdominal pain. Taken Zantac, Tums, Pepto Bismol. Diagnosed as gastritis. Any ideas?

my father is a physician and told me that I have gastritis. I have no insurance and he has told me that I need to have a scope. I am looking for a way to aleviate the pain until I can get insured. My belly is distended, I have excruciating pain in my abdomen, just below my diaphragm. I've tried Zantac and Tums and Pepto Bismol. Any Idea?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later

Thank you for the query,

It looks like you are having dyspepsia.

Well has an ultrasonography been done? - if not worthwhile getting it done if pain is severe.

You can try switching over to over the counter omeprazole twice a day for few days and see how you feel. Omeprazole is available over the counter as prilosec OTC in the US. Adding domperidone to it may also help to overcome distention. I think domperidone is also available over the counter; check with your pharmacist.

In the interim modify your lifestyle in terms of an good eating habits, adequate sleep and daily exercise.

Iif you are still not better worthwhile getting an endoscopy or an urea breath test (non invasive test to look for h. pylori infection) done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.

Wish you a speedy recovery.