Ask a Dentist   »  

Dislocation in jaw while yawning or saying. Took advil. Looking for suggestion

I have Bern having a problem with my jaw going out of place while yawning or saying. Usually it goes back in placeif I press on my jaw lines and move my jaw back and forth. Unfortunately this time it didn't work. Of course both my dentist and Dr offices are closed. I took 600 Mg of advil. Would it be OK to wait until morning to reach one of my drs?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

I would be glad to inform you that sometimes due to wide mouth opening facial muscles overstretch and leave the jaw joint dislocated. It is a very painful condition and in order to bring the jaw back to its original position, it has to be done manually.

It is completely okay to take a painkiller every 8 hours until you see your dentist.

I will advise you to avoid wide mouth opening during yawning by covering your mouth with your hand, also kindly apply warm compresses over the jaw joint to relief pain if present.

Kindly visit your dentist soon.

If you have further queries kindly write back to us.

I wish you good health,