Dislocated left hip, fracture on femoral head. On osteo surbex medication. Wants to do MRI. Chances of getting arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doc,

I met with a bus accident and had dislocated my left hip. Closed reduction was performed and I am starting to walk now after a month. There was a fracture at the femoral head and doctor avoided to pin it to avoid AVN and said that the part of the head which had come out wont interfere with the socket joint movement. My question is what are the chances of getting arthritis due to this fracture. Is there any way to improve the cartilage (any medication)? My age is 26. Are there any things I can do to avoid arthritis in the future? Do I need to go for an MRI to determine if there is an articular cartilage damage? Are glucosamine and chondroitin supplements useful. I am currently just on Osteo Surbex Tablet.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
I will try to answer your queries one by one.
1. If the fracture of the femoral head is not in the weight bearing area of the head of the femur then the chances of developing arthritis in future are minimum. An evaluation by an orthopedician will help in determining this.
2. To improve the cartilage, you can take supplements of glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin after consulting with your treating doctor.
3. If the fracture site is in the weight bearing area then regular physiotherapy might delay the development of arthritis.
4.You can get an MRI done to find out any articular cartilage damage.
You can continue taking osteo surbex tablets as advised by your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.