Ask a Dentist   »  

Dislocated jaw and swelling in neck. Should I go with jaw surgery?

Hi,my name is XXXX XXXXXXX I would like ask some questions to a doctor of the jaw maxillofacial? I have a jaw dislocated bilateraly and swelling neck and very painfully in my jaw and symptoms of numbness and weakness in all over my mouth,face,and body.I already went to the doctor maxillofacial and he recommended for me go to a dental surgeon. so,if I go to a dental surgeon to repair my teeth,my jaw go back to place or I have to go to a doctor maxillofacial or need make any surgery on my jaw? thanks XXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires surgical intervention and must see OMFS

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your concern.

According to the history posted here I have understood your problem well.Therefore in answer to your question I would like to explain you the following.

Please understand that completely dislocated jaw requires complete rest for around 4 weeks called as immobilization(Surgical intervention).

Your oral and maxillofacial surgeon might have sent you to dental surgeon for minor dental corrections or treatments like cleaning,filling and x rays.

These procedures are mandatory prior to any surgical procedure.Please do not be apprehensive. Treatment done step by step gives minimal chances of infection and better results.

Once your dental surgeon does these treatments for you, then you can go back to your oral and maxillofacial surgeon(OMFS) as your jaw might requires to be immobilized for few weeks.

Such procedures will be carried out by your OMFS only.Therefore you need to go back to your OMFS for further treatment.

Hope i have answered your query in detail.

Please let me know for further doubts.