Diseases contracted from needle pricks other than hepatitis and HIV

what other (possible) diseases you can get from a needle prick other than hepatitis and HIV?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Diseases contracted from needle pricks other than hepatitis and HIV 25 minutes later
i worked as an LVN in a skilled nursing facility and monitoring sugar check with elder patients with history of chronic diseases like kidney problem, hypertension, DM, MRSA, CVA, and other diseases, is one of my scope of work. i injected patients with insulin and accidentally prick my finger from the needle i used with patient. what possible disease i could get from patient with such HX of diseases?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 54 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Since you are familiar with the patient you can ask your employee health department to test the patient for hepatitis and HIV. There are 2 types of hepatitis - B and C which are possibly transmitted via needle stick. HIV may be transmitted as well as you know. The risk is relatively low but still real enough to warrant testing to confirm a negative result.

These are the only real concens - transmitting the viruses of hepatitis and HIV. There are really no other concerns in the event of such a minor needle stick. Please discuss this with your employee health department and supervisor.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful as well as reassuring. If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga