Discovered to have stone in gall bladder and wall is thick. Have pain. Suggest medication?

I am 50 years old, lately discovered that I have a stone in the gallbladder and the wall is thick, I have pain from time to time , the doctor I saw said tat it must be removed. I don't eat fat at all and I am taking care of what I eat, but the pain comes and goes, so is there any medication as. Am afraid to do the operation. Thanks
When I take antibiotic , the pain disappear for 2 weeks and then it comes back.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Gallbladder pain can come in many different intensities. As you know, fatty foods can trigger an attack of pain. In cour case since you are having repeated episodes of pain, the standard of care is to remove the gallbladder. This is one of the most routine surgeries performed by a gneral surgeon and has a low complication rate.

Antibiotics for some reason help in your case but we do not want to continue to exposue you to courses of antibiotics as this does increase the risk of development of resistant bacteria.

There are no reliable medications which would resolve your issue which is why I agree with your doctor that removing the gallbladder is the most sensible option.

Thanks again for the query. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga