Discovered soft spot. Had weak spells. Faint while standing. Should I be concerned?

I am 55 year old woman who just this week discovered a soft spot about the size of a quarter in same location as a baby's soft spot is....I've never noticed this before. I have no symptoms that I've noticed, other than in the last few months I've had occasional weak spells, and in the last couple of weeks, I feel as if I'm going to faint when standing. I sit down and rest and it goes away. Should I be concerned? What could cause a sudden soft spot that's never been there as an adult?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood vessels, dehydration, trauma, etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I should let you know that what you are experiencing is not very common, but is encountered by doctor's during their practice. The few most common causes for the same are a development of a cluster of blood vessels, a post-traumatic effect of a direct injury, dehydration, etc. The bones in the skull of an adult are fused, and thus a soft spot cannot be anything related to parts that are below the skull (unlike in babies).

If I were your doctor I would order a MRI scan of your head just to make sure all is well, so that there is no serious cause for such a presentation. A few other blood investigations would also be required to check on your coagulation and lipid profile. For this reason I would urge you to please schedule an appointment with your doctor and go about the above investigations.

I do not think this should be anything serious, as most patient's who have presented in such a manner have had a simple and solvable solution to their presentation. I hope you found my response helpful . Please feel free to write back to me for further clarifications.

Best wishes.