Discovered painful lumps under jaw. Got bleeding from nostril. Swelling lymph node?

Discovered 2-3 lumps under right side of jaw - they are freely moveable and only one is mildly painful. I am assuming they are lymph nodes. I had a severe cold 3-4 weeks ago but they were not elevated then. Since the cold I have had raw mucosa on inside of right nostril which bleeds after I sneeze. What is going on?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 46 minutes later

I have noted your complaints and probably your assumption is right. Most likely these lumps are enlarged lymph node indeed.

The most common cause of palpable lymph node is infection. Infection in the oral cavity, nose, upper airway, pharynx and ear may cause lymphadenopathy at the neck. In case of you, the raw mucosa on inside of right nostril is probably responsible for the enlargement.

But do not be concerned. Enlarged lymph node will be disappear after inflammation of nose subsided.
Look out for spontaneous nose bleeding, black tarry stool, skin rash, fever & other enlarged lymph node at other side of the body. If any of these features are present & enlarged lymph node are persisting then it will be better for you to consult your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.