Discovered black worm in stool. It was moving. Had allergy on hands. Is it connected?

today I discovered black 1 inch worm in my stool. it was moving.
Should I be concerned? Does it make any difference with color?
also, not related, but i have been reading about Schistosomiasis, as i have some symptoms on my hands... but i always though of it as alergies... as these come and go thoughout the year.

could these two be connected?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?Round worms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

You might be having ascaris (round worm) or less likely pin worm (as there is no itching around the anus).

Ascarisis is an infection by a roundworm, and can cause visible worms in the stool and respiratory symptoms. The worms live in the small intestine and worm eggs are passed through the stool. If a person goes to the bathroom outside, or if human sewage is used for fertilizer, the dirt can become infected with worm eggs. Eating food grown in contaminated soil or putting your fingers in your mouth after touching infected dirt can spread the parasite. Ascaris can grow as long as 8 to 14 inches. Most people have mild cases and may not have symptoms. However, a serious case can lead to intestinal blockage or other serious complications that need surgery. Medications can kill the worms.

Many people are infected with ascaris and don't know it until they spot a worm in their stool. Once eggs hatch, small larvae move into the bloodstream and then to the lungs. This can cause coughing, wheezing, and even a type of pneumonia as the worms move through the lungs. The larvae move to your throat, where you cough them up and then swallow them. Worms can live 10 to 24 months in the intestines, where they lay eggs that end up in stool. 6 to 8 weeks after being infected, stomach symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting can occur. Treatment with drugs can kill the worms.

These steps can help prevent ascarisis:

Wash your hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom and before handling food.
Wash, peel, and cook raw vegetables that have been grown in areas where ascaris may be present.
Avoid contact with soil fertilized with manure or fertilizer made from human waste.

Roundworm is usually treated with anti-parasitic drugs. Medications used for treatment include:

The symptoms depend on the species of schistosoma that you have and where this species produces most of its eggs. Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma japonicum tend to produce eggs in the blood vessels around the bowel. If eggs are mainly produced in the blood vessels around the bowel, symptoms can include bloody diarrhoea and tummy (abdominal) pain which tends to be cramping.

Regarding your hands, I would like to know the exact nature of symptoms you are having and the duration.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor