Ask a Dentist   »  

Discovered a hard lump in the roof of mouth. Could it be osteoma?

My dentist has discovered a hard lump in the roof of my mouth. She thinks it is an Osteoma and is sending me to the hospital. What is this please?
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.
An osteoma is a benign tumor that consists of mature, compact, or cancellous bone. Those that arise on the surface of bone are called periosteal osteomas, those that develop inside the bone are called endosteal osteomas. They are relatively rare in the jaws, found mostly in males within the 2nd to 5th decade of life. They can mimic exostosis, another common benign growth of bone. More concerning differential diagnosis would be osteoblastomas and osteoid osteomas which are likely painful and may exhibit a more rapid rate of growth.

The treatment for osteomas is usually surgical removal and do not return following their surgical removal.

Most common disease that they are found in is Gardner's Syndrome: symptoms of this disease are: intestinal polyposis, multiple osteomas, fibromas of the skin, epidermal and trichilemmal cysts, impacted permanent and supernumerary teeth and odotomas. This is a dominant genetic defect found on the long arm of chromosome 5. If you don't have any of these symptoms chances are you do not have the disease and also the growth you have are most likely exostosis.

Either way, they may or may not need to be surgically removed, and once performed, they don't return.

I hope this answers you questions. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to write me back. I am here and eager to help you.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Ward