Discovered Fibroadenoma in 13yr old breast. Have family history of breast cancer, should I be worried?

the doctor just discovered a Fibromioma (sp.) in my 13yr old daughters breast. My family has a high case of breast cancer, should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.

Breast masses in adolescent girls are usually benign (non cancerous).
Fibroadenoma is the most commonly breast mass in this age group. It accounts for up to70 % of the masses seen at this age.

Fibroadenoama are masses composed of fibrous (scar) and glandular tissue. They are not cancerous.They are usually smooth, mobile and round when felt.

They may occasionally become larger just before the period comes.

They normally have a typical appearance on ultrasound.

There are different treatment options that your doctor may suggest: (1) monitor every 1 to 3 months with careful physical examination
(2)excision and biopsy if requested

It is extremely extremely rare for cancer to develop within a fibroadenoma, the risk is approximately 0.002% to .0125%.

With your family history , you and your daughter may op to remove the lump. Your doctor will discuss the options with you.

She may also want to have herself checked for the gene (BRCA1 and BRCA2).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Discovered Fibroadenoma in 13yr old breast. Have family history of breast cancer, should I be worried? 4 minutes later
What is the gene BRCA1 and BRCA2? and how do you go about checking for that?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later

These are tumor (cancer) suppressing genes. Some girls and women have mutations of these genes which increase the chance of developing breast or ovarian cancer.
Since the gene is mutated , it is not as effective in preventing cancer formation or stopping cells from increasing in an abnormal way to cause cancer.

Females can inherit these mutated genes and therefore be at risk.

Genetic tests are available to check for these genes. It requires a blood test with counselling done before and after the test.

The cost varies from lab to lab but the price range is from several hundred dollars to thousands.
It may be covered by insurance.

Your doctor may be able to tell you if this is an option

Please feel free to ask anything else