Discovered 2 symmetrical red rings on skin. No itching or burning. What to do?

Dec 2013

Hello, yesterday I discovered 2 perfectly symmetrical red rings on my skin. One on each upperarm close to my schouders on the same place. So even the placement is symmetrical! At first I thought they might have been caused by clothing, but I haven't worn anything that could cause these marks.
They do not itch or burn and do not veel raised to the skin. I tried to upload a picture, but the upload seems to take forever.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 59 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your query you have two symmetrical red rings on each upperarm close to shoulders without any itching and burning.

According to this short period of the appearance and asymptomatic nature of the problem the very first and important thing is that the skin problem is nothing serious.

Now there appears to be a simple possibility of contact dermatitis. This is a simple condition where due to multiple factors or agents coming in contact with skin can cause mild to moderate changes on the skin. The first sign of it is always redness over the affected part. This can because by simple sweating or cold, sun exposure or anything present in the environment. There can be any agent which previously was not causing the problem but now suddenly because of mild increase in intensity caused the problem. Overall you should not be worried about the cause as this is too early to comment on that. You just keep a close watch on the area.

Now for the betterment part you need not do much as the rash is totally symptomless. At the maximum you can apply calamine lotion available over the counter.

If the redness increase in next 24 hours then you can apply a cream containing Fluticasone for two times a day. You apply it in such a thin layer that it should be visible by naked eye.

If you feel there is itching or burning then you can take any antihistamine tablet by mouth such as desloratadine or levocetrizine for itching and irritation under medical guidance. It can be taken for one time if itching is less or for two to three time if the irritation is more. desloratadine can be taken in day time while levocetrizine can be taken in evening or night time.

Despite above measures if the rings increase in next 48-72 hours then you can XXXXXXX a dermatologist. But I am quite hopeful and confident that you would be quite alright as the rash appears to be quite transient.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)