Discomfort on upper left abdomen,diarrhea,water in toilet red,two glasses of hawaiian punch

ive been having discomfort on the upper left side of my abdomen i had a bowel movement i had diarhea at the time and the water in the toilet was red should i be worried or could it be from the two glasses of hawaiian punch i had for lunch
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

A discomfort in the upper left abdomen mild be due to some food contamination or painful bowel movement if this happens only once in a while.

The turning of water in toilet to red may be a bloody diarrhea due to amebiasis or may be attributed to the liquid or solid food you consumed.

If such a thing repeats itself then the cause needs to be investigated with the help of your physician. A stool examination, blood tests and urine test are needed to find out the type of infection. If there is associated pain in the rectum then anal fissures need to be ruled out by colonoscopic examination.

Right now you can just wait and watch for another such episode in such a case you need to consult your physician. Meanwhile drink plenty of fluids and have boiled bland easy to digest food to treat diarrhea for next few days. If the discomfort in abdomen turns painful you may see at the urgent clinic for evaluation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Discomfort on upper left abdomen,diarrhea,water in toilet red,two glasses of hawaiian punch 1 hour later
i also have been feeling bloated after eating and seem to have alot of gas I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in 4 days is it something that can wait till then or should i go to the ER
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

I feel most of us swallow a lot of air because of fast meal time and swallow a significant amount of gas to cause these problems. Ofcourse it is good to reduce intake of high carbohydrate stuff. Just try this, practice to increase your meal timing to atleast 30 minutes and small meal. Chew the stuff properly and help the enzymes which act later to digest properly thereby reducing the symptoms.

To decrease the gas and bloating, you can try Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, peppermint extract, etc. Otherwise take antacids and digestive enzymes.

If nothing of these helps then you can get yourself evaluated at an ER. If it is not associated with much pain abdomen and you can pass the gas then you can wait till morning for it to subside.

Wishing you an early recovery.