Discomfort in lower back. Tests were normal, advised therapeutic exercise but still paining. Suggest?

I am expereincing discomfort in the the lower back area. This have being bothering me for a while - for over 6 months. A recent diagnosis by an Orthopedic doctor show that everything was normal and I was prescribed one simple theraputic exercise. In the past two weeks the discomfort has increased. I feel fine when I am walking or standing, but sitting in onle place for more than 30 mins seems to aggravte the problem. I also feel the discomfort when I lie down irrespective of the position. I have been doing core and lower back exercises for over a month and I so a walk + run for 30 mins atleat 3 times a week.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI spine would be ideal

Detailed Answer:

It seems like the problem of your lower back is becoming bothersome to you.

It has been there for 6 months now.

In such a case, I would advise my patient to undergo an MRI of the lower back to rule out spinal disc herniation, if any. I would advise you the same.

Please go ahead and get this test done. You could discuss about the report here, once you get it.

I wish you quick recovery.

Follow-up: Discomfort in lower back. Tests were normal, advised therapeutic exercise but still paining. Suggest? 44 hours later
Thnak you for your response Dr. Shanthi. I have a copule more questions.

As a part of a stretching routine before a jog/run, I raise my knees and bring them up close to the chest. As I go back to the standing position again, I can feel/hear "click" in the lower back or hip area. It feels like something moved in a socket. Is this normal? or could this be related to what I am already experiencing?

Assuming that I have a minor lower back condition, whould jogging ~5 km each day 3 days a week casue damage or wear on the muscles/tendons/ligaments connected to or around the knee?

When I go to the diagnostic center for an MRI do I just ask for a lower back MRI, or is there a technical name for the position or region they have to scan?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

Here are your answers to the follow up queries:

1. No, I do not think this 'click' sound is normal. In my view, it is related to already existing problem. I would suggest you to stop this stretching exercise for a while, and give rest to your back.

2. You can continue to jog. This would not cause any damage or wear and tear on the muscles/tendons/ligaments around the knee joint. In fact, jogging helps to strengthen these.

3. You could ask for a MRI of the lumbo-sacral spine in all views. This would be ideal to locate the problem.

Hope this information helps you. Sorry for my delayed response.

Wish you quick recovery.