Discomfort in lower abdomen, missed periods, frequent urination. Ultrasound showed ovarian cysts. Pregnant?

I have been experiencing discomfort in my lower abdomen mimicking feelings of gas and I recently had a transvaginal ultrasound and a Ct Scan of the abdomen and pelvis which showed bilateral ovarian cysts to right and
Left ovaries and a uterine fibroid also minimal free fluid at the culdesac. I'm 48 yrs old first time ever I missed my period although the passes 3 months have been irregular and pregnancy test have all been negative I'm passing urine frequently and at times only minimal amounts but urine test and culture are negative for infection no bacteria seen. The discomfort persist. I don't know what to do now
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 23 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Can you tell me the sizes of the ovarian cysts or the fibroid?
Also, can you tell me the location of the fibroid?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Discomfort in lower abdomen, missed periods, frequent urination. Ultrasound showed ovarian cysts. Pregnant? 28 minutes later
Right ovarian cyst is 1.3x1.0x1.7 cm and the left ovarian cyst measures 1.8x 1.6x 2.4 cm no ad exam masses seen. The uterine fibroid measures 2.6x 1.9x 2.3 cm sub mucosal fibroid. The uterus is retroverted and endometrium has thickness of 0.6 cm
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 49 minutes later
Thank you for the followup information - that is very helpful!

The question that is often asked from the perspective of an OB/GYN is "are these symptoms related to a GYN source or not". You have an evaluation that has included an evaluation of the pelvic organs. The findings include:

1. Normal views of both ovaries (the ovarian cysts are normal, normal size, and likely of no concern). You form ovarian cysts every month, and these are of normal size and unlikely to explain your symptoms
2. You have a sub-mucous fibroid - this is a fibroid that is close to the lining (the part that normally grows and sheds each month). It is actually a decent size and they typically present with irregular, heavy bleeding, cramps, and perhaps bloating.

While the fibroid could be a source or your symptoms, it sounds like it also might be an incidental finding. Regardless, though, now that they have found it, they need to make sure it is a benign process. You need:

1. An endometrial biopsy
2. Possible sonohysterogram (an ultrasound where fluid is put in around the fibroid to assess the ease with which it can be removed)

This should all be done in consultation with a GYN doctor. If the source of your pain is NOT though to be related to GYN problems, then you should probably see a GI (gastroenterologist) and see what they think.

I hope that this helps and good luck!