Discomfort in breathing, taking Asthalin. Can you let me know if I can continue this?

I take asthalin 3 times daily or whenever I feel discomfort in breathing. I have been using this for last 6yrs now. Can you let me know, if I can continue like this with Asthalin (as I am comfortable with it) or should I be supporting with any steroids. I am male , 30 yrs old.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 15 minutes later
Given the severity of symptoms in your case, a low dose inhaled corticosteroid would be advisable in your case. These drugs help achieve better long term control. Corticosteroids commonly used for asthma include fluticasone and beclomethasone. Additionally, asthalin (salbutamol) can lead to tachycardia(rapid pulse) even in inhaler form, and that also over a period of time can lead to stress on the heart and circulatory system.

Ideally, you should be requiring asthalin inhaler <2 times a week for ideal control.
However, these are prescription drugs and you would need to consult your physician who can evaluate you and prescribe appropriate dose for you.

I hope I have answered your query. I would be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Discomfort in breathing, taking Asthalin. Can you let me know if I can continue this? 4 hours later
Thank you Doctor.

What is the best available medcine which has Corticosteroids? Also, I like jogging, will this cause any kind of over stress to my respiratory system alongside having asthma.

I will anyways consult a physcian soon.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

Any Fluticasone steroid inhaler is good, but do consult your doctor for appropriate dosage.

Regarding jogging, there is no harm in steady jogging if you have warmed up before and allow yourself to cool down slowly. Many olympians have been asthmatics including those that have won golds. But remember not jog if you are having an acute attack

I hope, this clarifies your doubt. Please accept this answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.