Discomfort in breast. Had headaches and swollen lymph nodes in armpits later. Period prolonged. Help?

About a month ago I started having a heavy uncomfortable feeling continually in one breast, Its larger than normal, a week after that I started with headaches and swollen lymph nodes in my armpit, I had a burning sensation too, that seems to of subsided now though, but my nodes are still swollen, I have headaches most days which is unusual for me and I'm tired alot. My muscles seem to ache after little exterior, in one arm and the backs of my thighs? My period last month was extremely light, I am in the pill and this month I began bleeding 10 days too soon? Should I go back to the docs? I've been twice, last time for full blood tests, all normal. I am 36yr old. Thank you! !
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A swollen axillary lymph nodes along with heaviness in the breast is a symptom of concern and the breasts must be examined and investigated ( mammography ) for the presence of any lump.
While taking contraceptive pills regularly, it is normal to have a lighter than usual period and a breakthrough bleeding- ten days earlier than expected once in a while.
If there are no breast lumps detected, then headaches, fatigue and lymphadenopathy might be due to a generalized viral syndrome.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.