Discomfort in abdomen and drinking occasionally. Diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome. Suggest the medication?

I am a 44 year old white man with no prior health incidents. I drink occassionally--but recently went through a period where I was drinking more heavily and eating poorly. I developed what I thought were stomach problems so I stopped (normally I eat very healthy--it was a particularly stressful time at work). When my abdomen continued to feel discomfort I went to my doctor for an examine. He ordered a blood workup -- everything looked fine except my bilirubin (which was exceptionally high at 8.1 mg/dl). This was total (the lab did not break apart to direct/indrect and I am waiting on a second blood test). As a side note--my bilirubin had been high in the past--though not this high--and the doctor had previously diagnosed Gilbert's Syndrome. I have occasional RUQ pain--but it does not stop me from my daily activities. I don't think I have jaundice (but hard to tell since it is end of summer and I got a bit of sun). I am seeing a GI doc later in the week (so want to be prepared for questions to ask)--and also am waiting on results from an ultrasound. Any thoughts about what might be going on, direction or questions to be asked would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Though you have been having high bilirubin and was diagnosed with Gilbert Syndrome, some other factor is also responsible for the present bilirubin value of 8. Because in XXXXXXX Syndrome, it hardly crosses 3 or 4.

Based on the history provided, I can find the only factor responsible - alcohol; but that is difficult to say without the SGOT/SGPT levels. You should talk and discuss with your doctor about other factors.

The RUQ pain could be due to liver/gallbladder/stomach issues.

If I were to be your treating doctor, before answering all your questions, I would order for complete liver function profile, an ultrasound scan and upper GI endoscopy. Most of your questions initially with this set of investigations.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini