Discomfort during intercourse, have reverse uterus, extra skin on clitoris removed, cannot manage new positions during sex. Is there a link?

Question
my wife has constant discomfort whenever we have intercourse, she does not like to masturbate nor if i use my finger inside her as foreplay. She was told by her gynecologist she has a reverse uterus. She also had in the past extra skin on lips near her clitoris which she had surgically removed during delivery. During intercourse we only do the traditional position where she lies on her back on bed, whenever we try to have new intercourse positions (when she is on her knees or on comes from top) i cannot seem to penetrate her vagina (as if her vagina is not aligned with my penis). We are both normal weight and relatively healthy, my wife is 28, i am 41 year old.
Is there a link beween reverse uterus, pain during intercourse, no masturbation foreplay, extra skin layers, and the fact that we cannot seem to manage to have intercourse in new positions during intercourse?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

The medical term for pain experienced during intercourse is "dyspareunia" and it seems as though your wife may have a bit of this. It is unlikely that this is related to her history of labial surgery or to retroverted uterus.

This needs to be diagnosed properly. At a minimum your wife needs a pelvic ultrasound examination to see if there is anything outside of her vagina, like an ovarian cyst, that may be giving rise to her dyspareunia. Exactly where, when and how she feels the discomfort are very important questions also.

Her dislike of masturbatory foreplay and your difficult with positions other than missionary may also be significant.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Discomfort during intercourse, have reverse uterus, extra skin on clitoris removed, cannot manage new positions during sex. Is there a link? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Rynne,

My wife was diagnosed in the past (about 6 months ago) with Ovarian Cyst and she was prescribed a medicine called Glucofage, we are not sure if the Cysts still are there or not. Incidentally similar discomfort happened when her doctor used to do the ultrasound scan in her vagina when she was pregnant. Can you please clarify what does the pelvic ultrasound show?

It there a medical or physical reason that could be the cause why we are not able to perform in non missionary positions such as 'from behind' or 'on top'? It is possible that the position of her vagina opening is slightly higher thus causing such non missionary positions impractical?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 6 hours later
Hi and thank you for your follow up question.

The additional details provided are useful. Your wife's dyspareunia is probably being caused by ovarian cyst. Presence of pain during ultrasound examination also indicates there is something in the uterus/ovaries that may be causing the pain.

This needs to be monitored via pelvic ultrasound. This allows the operator to see inside the pelvic contents - ovaries, uterus, bladder, broad ligament and so on and to measure the diameter of the cyst to see if it is growing or regressing.

For the next little while your wife is going to need to attend a gynecologist until these issues are resolved.

I can't explain your difficulty with non-missionary coital positions beyond suspecting that ovarian cyst may have a role. It is unlikely to have anything do with position of vaginal opening.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If all your queries are addressed please close this discussion.

Good luck and thank you

Follow-up: Discomfort during intercourse, have reverse uterus, extra skin on clitoris removed, cannot manage new positions during sex. Is there a link? 4 hours later
Many thanks for your answers regarding my wife's dyspareunia.

On the second subject, is there physical condition in women where the position of the vaginal opening is higher thus making it difficult for couples to have intercourse in certain positions (ie: from behind or from top)?

No, as I have already explained, your coital position difficulties are unlikely to have anything to do with position of vaginal opening. Thanks.