Discomfort around lungs, upper back, smoking ?

Question

I have this discomfort around my lungs, specifically in my upper back. Can you please tell me if this is something serious?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Before I answer your query, I would want to know some details .

1.What is your age ?

2.Since how long has this discomfort been?

3.Could you please elaborate more on the " discomfort" , do you feel short of breath, chest pain, etc?

4. Do you have any history of asthma , diabetes , high blood pressure or similar symptoms in the past?

5. Have you seen a doctor? have you done any tests so far?

I would surely answer your query on receiving these details.

In anticipation of your reply.

Follow-up: Discomfort around lungs, upper back, smoking ? 12 hours later

Regarding your questions, here are my answers:

1.What is your age ? I am 27 years old, I am a female.

2.Since how long has this discomfort been? It has been going on for a week or maybe 5 days. I also got a lot of sun 2 days ago on my back which makes me feel confused about my "lung pain". I have been a smoker for 10 years.

3.Could you please elaborate more on the " discomfort" , do you feel short of breath, chest pain, etc? My pain is mainly on the upper back of my body. I would not describe it as PAIN it is mostly just uncomfotable, it feel strange and it makes me feel like I am aware of At first I thought it could be some sord of muscle pain and got a massage but it did not fix the problem. I am not short of breath but 2 days ago I was taking a dancing class and felt really short of breath ( it had been a long time since I last worked out).

4. Do you have any history of asthma , diabetes , high blood pressure or similar symptoms in the past? I do not recall having any of these symptoms in the past. Not that I am aware of.

5. Have you seen a doctor? have you done any tests so far? I have not seen a Doctor because this "discomfort" just came up a few days ago. My husband tells me its because maybe I have been smoking too much lately. I am just worried sick (like any smoker) that I might have lung cancer or some ilness related to my lungs. What do you suggest I have and what should I do?

Thank you,
Maria

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

The discomfort you have described could most probably be due to smoking. Smoking causes constriction of airways leading to shortness of breath and chest discomfort. It is known to be associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchitis.Women are also at risk of developing lung cancer with long standing smoking habit.

Smoking also causes gastritis, interfering with the mucosal functions.This may cause an epigastric pain and a chest discomfort

The discomfort at the back, could also be due to a heart block. Nicotine has known to cause constriction of blood vessels,acceleration of atheromas/plaques, high blood pressure, etc which are significant to cause a heart attack.

I suggest you to see a doctor and get these tests done

1.Pulmonary function test
2.Chest X XXXXXXX
3.ECG
4.2D ECHO
5.Complete blood count and hemoglobin
6.Urine analysis and microscopy
7.Random blood sugar
8.Blood urea and serum creatnine

The interpretation of the reports along with a check on the blood pressure and an examination would surely help us in narrowing down the reason for your discomfort.

Meanwhile I suggest you to slowly cut down on smoking and eventually quit the habit .Motivate yourself, try meditation , XXXXXXX breathing and daily physical activity.This will ease your mind , improve your symptoms and allay your anxiety .Avoid coffee, tea and aerated beverages.Drink lots of water daily and have a nutritious diet.

Hope I answered your query,I am available for follow ups as well