Discomfort around chest area. Cholesterol under control. Could this be due to loss of stamina or anxiety?

I have a feeling of discomfort around my chest area. This feeling (weakness) is similar to what one gets after having run a long distance or climbed up a mountain. I have done a master check up and the reports are OK. I am taking Fibator tablets as I am having cholesterol. But the Cholesterol levels are under control. Sometimes I have irritation around my chest area. Thinking that this is due to my sudden habit of having early break fast, I have started to avoid this also.

I am lean and do not do any physical activity by the my work. I do not do any regular exercising also.
is the feeling due to loss of stamina? or due to mere anxiety? Can you help me here?
Just to add. These are sudden changes in life after which I have started to have these kinds of feeling

1)Nowadays I am starting to office at 7.45 as opposed to 10 AM
2)I am having early breakfast (Idly, Sambar etc..)
3)I travel around 50KM to and from work as opposed to around 25KM XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 59 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on... Your symptoms do not suggest CAD. As you say, anxiety and change of schedule may be responsible... However, You need to be investigated to exclude Coronary Artery Disease – it is better to have a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram (TMT)... was it done as a part of ‘master check up’?

Was an ECHOcardiogram done? The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

It is good to keep cholesterol under control with medication. But you also need exercise – sedentary life style is a risk factor by itself. Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. You can buy an ordinary treadmill for home use...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Discomfort around chest area. Cholesterol under control. Could this be due to loss of stamina or anxiety? 19 hours later
Dear Doctor,
TMT and ECHOcardiogram were not done as part of the master check up. I did consult the doctor after the report came. The doctor told that everything is normal. He suggested me to go for walking and possibility to learn yoga.

I have one question here. Since I was having a high cholesterol for a considerable time before I started to take medicines to control them, the arteries might have become thicker because of deposits of cholesterol. I understand that this scenario only causes attacks.

1)Have the arteries become thinner now or restored to its original state now since I am taking medicines now?
2)Given my current feeling on my health, what are the symptoms that I have to take seriously and what I can ignore?

Excuse if there is a lack of any medical understanding from my part.
And do you recommend any other tests at this point of time?

I started to go for walking since yesterday and to take break fast around 9AM instead of 7.30AM . I feel that I feel better now :-)

I have uploaded a few reports .

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later

Blood count / Sugar / Kidney function / Liver function are all normal
Lipid report is NOT there!

Only half the ECG is seen – that is normal!

X-ray report is normal

Have TMT (exercise ECG) and ECHOcardiography.
Most likely they will be normal and can exclude heart disease;
Also they will serve as a base for future comparison..

Fat deposition in blood vessels can theoretically regress
You need drastic reduction in cholesterol and life style changes...

Enumerating all possible symptoms will only cause anxiety!
If there is chest pain, breathing difficulty or missed beats, see the doctor...
If the treadmill is normal, repeat it yearly
Repeat lipids after 2 months / if normal, then yearly
Take stain life long...

All the best
Follow-up: Discomfort around chest area. Cholesterol under control. Could this be due to loss of stamina or anxiety? 2 days later
Thank you doctor. I will follow your advice and will take up regular walking and yoga.

Your advice has been helpful to me to dispel the self-doubt I have had so far. Thank you again
All the best
You are young and motivated
You will be well