Discomfort and pain in groin area. Suspected to have spermaticole. Chances of testicular cancer?

I am a 35 year old man. For about 6 months I have experienced discomfort/slight pain in my groin area. It seems to hurt under my scrotum, and I am suddenly quite aware of the left side of my scrotum. My GP found my testicles to be normal, but found 'somthing' which he described as a spermaticole. I now have to have blood test and urine test. And Will also be refered to an ultra scan. I am not being fast tracked, and my GP did say he thinks testicular cancer is unlikely because I have felt the symptoms for so long But to my knowledge a spermaticole does not cause any pain!!, which is the sole reason I sent to see my doctor. So I must admit I fear testicular cancer. How easy is it to distinguish a spermaticole from testicular cancer just by palpation??? Can you go 6+months with testicular cancer and having no other symptoms than discomfort in/under scrotum??
Thanks in advance!!!
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
It is good that awareness for cancer exists, as it is curable in the early stage.
The difference is that testicular cancer is felt as a mass arising for the testis itself, but a spermatocele is felt as a separate mass BESIDE the testis.
So, the doc must have been very confident of his findings and hence is not fast tracking you.
Otherwise, the medical fraternity is aware that testicular cancers if diagnosed early, is curable and hence you would have been referred early.
You may revisit you doctor, if the swelling increases in size/ any other new swelling or symptoms occurs in the body - like in the abdomen, near the clavicle in the neck and so on.
Pain can occur in spermatocele or cancer - due to sudden increase in size and stretching of the surrounding structures.
Meanwhile the doctor would have requested TUMOR MARKERS (blood tests) and that would give a clue.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any,
Best regards
Follow-up: Discomfort and pain in groin area. Suspected to have spermaticole. Chances of testicular cancer? 2 hours later
My doctor HAS requested tumor markers and a scan. But he Will perform the bloodtest himself and I later have to go to hospital to have a scan. But no, I am not beeing fast tracked. He also requested a urine test.
Is it easy to tell the difference between a spermaticole and cancer just by palpation??
Can even a small spermaticole cause pain?
He seems to Think that whatever I have would be bigger/different after 6 months if it were cancer....
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 41 minutes later
Welcome back.
small spermatocele can cause pain.
Palpation can make out the difference.
In six months, cancer would be bigger but not spermatocele.
Hope this answers your query.
Best regards
Follow-up: Discomfort and pain in groin area. Suspected to have spermaticole. Chances of testicular cancer? 24 hours later

I thought a spermatocele almost never causes symptoms? But if one does experience symptoms, what are they??

So do I understand you correctly: after 6 months a testicular cancer would be easy for a GP to diagnose due to size of the lump/other symptoms?

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 28 minutes later
Welcome back.
Symptoms are usually swelling and pain.
Yes, tumour increases in size more than the spermatocele, according to medical science.
Best regards,