Discoloration of toe nail after injury. Is it due to the keratin debris caused by fungal infection?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hi...a year ago something fell on my make a long story short, after a few days the nail turned a whitish-yellow color under my same thing is there and under nail the white-yellow has become thick. I think it is called "Ketaren Debris" but not at all sure.. If i cut the to nail, some will come off the nail like a white powder...I don't think this is caused by fungal infection, but it looks like some picture i have seen as of it.

I have some topical gel to get rid of Keratin Debris caused by Fungal infection. The company says if I put it on for 6 months, it will heal as the nail grows again. First, will this topical gel used for fungal infection work for this? If not, can anything be done.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

I have gone through your history and your photo.

Had I been your doctor, I would suggest getting the nail removed first as it appears a dead nail and has a secondary fungal infection.

After you get the nail removed you may apply the anti fungal gel for 2-6 weeks till your skin is absolutely normal.

One word of caution would be - avoid using the gel if it has a steroid.

Basically after personal examination we also recommend Antifungal tablets one tablet every week same day for 6 weeks.

Hope all clear, if there is no further query do accept my response

Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Discoloration of toe nail after injury. Is it due to the keratin debris caused by fungal infection? 5 hours later
Will the nail grow back??? I don't to get rid of the nail if it doesn't grow back...if it does grow back, how long will it take to grow back? is the process painful?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your follow-up.

If the germinal epithelium is not removed the nail will grow
There are two ways of doing the surgery, just remove the nail or remove it with germinal epithelium or the root of the nail.

It usually takes maximum six weeks to grow back.

And under local anaesthesia it is not painful procedure.

Hope I have replied to your satisfaction. I am available for follow-up queries.

Get well soon.