Discoloration of the toe due to repeated injury. Cure? History of asthma.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently noticed that I have 3 very thin light brown colored vertical lines on my 2nd to big toe. This toe is a bit longer than my "big toe" and I have injured it from time to time (stubbed it.. I teach fitness and workout regularly). I read that it could be a number of things including melanoma. I researched photos of this and most images were a very dark brown thick line. They also say it usually happens to the thumb or big toe. I do have asthma and not sure if this could be soemthing related to that as well. I tried to take pictures of it, but the lines don't really show in photos. The entire toe is also a greyish/b;ue color. I have already made an appointment with a dermatologist. Just hoping to get some answers to ease my worry. Thanks! (Age: 41 female, healthy)..
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Very light brown colored lines on the toe are usually a result of repeated trauma. This chronic repeated trauma injures the growth plate and difference in the growth of toe nail in the different areas sometimes manifests as light colored lines.
In such cases usually no treatment is needed and this growth discrepancy resolves on its own once the exposure to trauma is over.
Melanomas are commonly associated with darker pigmented areas with ulcerations, irregular margins, recent change in shape and size, sometimes pain and bleeding. From your description it is least likely to be a melanoma.
A direct examination by a dermatologist will help in confirmation of the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
In case you find my answers satisfactory, please do click on accept button.