Discoloration of sputum in the mornings. Endoscopy, chest X-ray normal. Should I be worried?

I have safron colour in my sputum in the early morning only once. Then there is no such colour. Checked with the Gastroenterologist @ Apollo and done endoscopy test, CBP, ESR, Chest Xray-- every thing is normal. Got the sputum test for AFB. and no abnormality. But still the colour in my sputum early morning continues. Can you suggest and advise
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Sometimes it is normal for one to get such colored sputum due to food color ,some specific food items , drink etc.Its only when the orange sputum is associated with fever cough and other symptoms you have to worry about.

Orange coloured sputum can be seen in conditions like interstitial lung diseases,minor infections, in infections like Legionella pneumophila pneumonia (rarely),sinusitis or in Tuberculosis which has been ruled out in you.

The next step , I suggest you to get the urine antigen test for Legionella pneumophila .Once it has been ruled out then the next would be to get a HRCT (High Resolution Computed Tomography) which will help in identifying any kind of interstitial disease and for sure will come out with the cause if any.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.