Discoloration between shaft and glans, circumcised

I am a fit 30s something male. I was circumcised as a baby. The way I healed from the circumcision left several stitch tunnels, some skin build up, and I also have a noticeable area of discoloration, darker pigment on part of the crown (area between shaft and glans (glands)). Despite keeping the area very clean, I can't prevent debris from building up in the stitch tunnels. I am thinking of going to a Dermatologist to see if he can open them and remove the excess skin. The other thing that seems to bother me is the area of darker discoloration, it has a bit of build up or thickness to it, but not much. None of this is new. I have had skin check ups before and no doctor has ever commented on the discoloration, a few ask about my circumcision build up, but all dismissed everything as benign.
I wanted to get your thought on if it is worth doing anything about the stitch tunnels and what this area of discoloration is ... granted, its been this way as long as I can remember.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The discoloration of the glans is normal and is seen in many cases of circumcision.
As far as the stitch marks, hypertrophic tissue and tunnels are concerned, you can have a corrective surgery if it is that troublesome but there is nothing serious in that too. The lesions are completely benign (harmless) and you just need to keep the area clean.
Surgery is the only option for taking care of the tunnels. However, the discoloration will stay as it is normal.
Dr.Rohit Batra