Discoloration around mouth, vitiligo ruled out. No changes with medicines. Help?

i have a fair discolouration around my mouth. i visited my dermatologist who informed me its not vetiligo. he gave me elocon ointment and calcort pills. it did not help. can u assist?
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is important that you consulted your dermatologist. Its important that vitiligo has been excluded. It might be very helpful to know exactly for how long you have been taking these drugs prescribed by your dermatologist.

One important aspect of the skin diseases and management is that it usually requires patience and time to gain results. It becomes compellingly true again in skin conditions that are not infectious in nature. This requires time for restoring the natural function and metabolism of the skin might need much time to get readjusted.

I honestly think you might need to be very patient. If no improvement, take an appointment with your dermatologist to adjust your concerns. It is not a brilliant idea changing treatment very frequently in the management of skin diseases. The drugs he prescribed are certainly based on clinical criteria and notions of your past history that actually guided his reason.

I still think you need to be patient, and if you really do feel nothing is changing, you might need to take an appointment with him to address your concerns, he might need to adjust treatment or reconsider his initial diagnosis.

Thanks and hope this helps,

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.