Ask a Urologist   »  

Discharge from the penis, stress, taken Amoxicillin, had a surgery for closed urethra

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi...I am having a clear-milky discharge from my penis. This has been going on for about 5 days or so. It seems to only happen when my bladder is full (morning and before bed). I have been taking Amoxicillin 875mg for the last 5 days as well. I work in the medical field and had some around. It doesn't seem to be helping. I am 42 years old and am freaking out because this has never happened before....Thanks, Just a note....I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately due to a job promotion. Much more responsibility. When I was 23, my urethra closed up at my prostate gland due to stress (that's what the doctor told me) and had 2 operations to open it back up. Don't know if this helps or not, but thought I would tell you. Thanks again for your help.XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later

I have few questions for you.

1. Do you experience normal seminal discharge during masturbation or while having sex?

2. Any fever, swelling of feet or legs

3. Any burning sensation on passing urine

4. Any weakness of the legs, tingling and numbness over legs

If the answer is 'No' to 2, 3 and 4 questions posted by me, I feel this clear milky discharge is semen. Appearance of semen before going to bed and early in the morning that too when the bladder is full is just a normal variable condition in the wake of no other associated symptoms.

If the answer is Yes to 2, 3 and 4. You need further testing like Urinalysis, side test and blood tests to check for Prostatitis etc.

If No to the Question 1, there can be a condition called Retrograde Ejaculation. This is a condition where semen goes into the urinary bladder or rather does not come out of the penis when orgasm is reached. This can cause semen accumulation in the deeper regions of the urethra and can be mixed with urine and may discharge during passing urine.

Also Trazodone is known to cause the same problem of retrograde ejaculation.

Drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Exercise daily.

Do discuss with your Doctor about this issue and find the right cause and appropriate management will be given for your problem.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Discharge from the penis, stress, taken Amoxicillin, had a surgery for closed urethra 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. I'm just curious as to why this is starting now. Will this stop? Should I continue on the antibiotics? I do have normal discharge during masturbation and orgasm. It's just weird that this discharge "just happens" and have never had this before. Could it be chlamydia or something?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Usually such discharge as presentation needs a thorough evaluation before the cause can be found out.

Usually loss of the strength of the bladder sphincter can cause retrograde ejaculation especially since you are on Anti-depressant which has this as prominent side effect, but since you mentioned no change in orgasm and ejaculation, then it is less likely. Other causes can be parasitic infection like Filaria.

Do get a complete evaluation by your Doctor to find the cause and appropriate solution.

Chlamydia will also cause burning sensation on passing urine and possible pain in the scrotum and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin.

Do use a condom to prevent spread of STDs.

Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Stay stress free.

Wish you good health.