Discharge from nipple in male. Cause?

My 25 yr old son has a discharge from his nipples, it has been happening for about a month. What could be causing this? I told him to see a doctor
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 58 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old male
•     Currently on Zoloft
•     Complaints of: Nipple discharge.

It would be good if you have mentioned the color of the discharge, duration and the amount. Is it foul smelling?

Let me answer with whatever is available.

Your son is already receiving Zoloft which contain sertraline. Sertraline is used for OCD (Depression and Anxiety disorders.

In males, nipple discharge may be associated with testosterone deficiency (male hypogonadism) and usually occurs with breast enlargement or tenderness (gynecomastia). It is also reasonable to undergo a breast examination by a local physician and find if there are any lumps.

The other things I would like to consider in following hierarchy:
•     Medications, such as certain tranquilizers, high blood pressure drugs, Antidepressants and anxiolytics (Alprazolam, Buspirone, Moclobemide, Citalopram (Celexa), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Paroxetine (Paxil), Sertraline (Zoloft)
•     An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
•     A noncancerous pituitary tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland

You can discuss these issues with your physician so that he can change medicine (Zoloft), examine your son and advice some investigation to rule out above all causes of galactorrhea.

Wishing him good health.

Follow-up: Discharge from nipple in male. Cause? 38 hours later
The fluid is clear/cloudy no odor and he told me it has been going on 6 months.He also said nipples are tender and puffy
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

Since the fluid is clear and there is no odour, it seems to be a minor health concern due to hormonal imbalance. It should get better soon.

You can get this fluid examined for cytological examination after requisition from your Physician.

Discuss above issues too with the Physician to plan further management.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.