Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take?

Question
hi.. how are u??
i had sex with my husband and after 3,4 hours the thick liquid like discharge came out when i peed ( i think it was sperm)
but the problem is that there was lil blood in that thick liquid
i want to b pregrant,so what precautions i should take???
last week there was just spotting for once... is that implantation bleeding??
as my test for pregnancy was negative
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry...

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

You are right , the discharge after intercourse was related to semen. the bleeding was most likely related to 'bumping' of the cervix which is prone to bleeding- this is quite common and does not indicate pregnancy.

With regard to the prior bleeding, this might be normal spotting that can occur around ovulation.

Take a pregnancy test now and repeat it in one week.

I hope that this helps!

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 3 minutes later
the test can b taken any time in a day ??
or just ist time in morning??

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anytime

Detailed Answer:
The test can be taken anytime, but first thing in the morning is probably best!

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 2 minutes later
okay.. my next period date is 8th oct.. should i wait ?? or do test??
1thing more.. iam having lil pain in my lower left belly..

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below...

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry - I will clarify:

Assuming regular cycles, and assuming that you might have conceived this last month, the earliest that a test will confidently turn positive is about two weeks after conception. This is usually at the time of the next period.

Given the timing of your next period, the spotting that occurred the week prior to the bleeding with intercourse was almost certainly right around ovulation, as there is a brief, abrupt drop in estrogen that causes this to occur. Hopefully you had intercourse around that time as well.

Finally, assuming that the pregnancy test is negative, the pain in your belly is almost certainly related to an ovarian cyst, which is normal. If it is severe or gets worse, then you need to see your doctor.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 12 hours later
thankx alot doctor:)

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
If you have future questions, please direct them to me, Dr. Raichle!

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 12 days later
hello doctor..h r u?
day bfore yesterday,at evening there were just few drops of mensis...I thought that periods are started,as was feeling pain of periods since last week,but after these drops,still there is no spot...is this im plantation bleeding??

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly

Detailed Answer:
Given that you are trying to get pregnant, this could certainly be what is occurring. Go ahead and take a pregnancy test now and report back to me with the result and I will help you further!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 32 minutes later
is it ok to do test now,as mostly doc says that after implantaion,it takes 5,7 days to get positive result...

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
You could do a test now, but I think that it would be a little early. If it is negative, I would not lose hope, but rather repeat the test in a week, regardless of whether you think you got your period or not.

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 6 days later
hello doctor..h r u?
Saturday night I got my periods,but they actually started yesterday noon,the pain was too much and there were clots too,but now its colour is brown,n flow is v light, 1 thing this time pain started 2 weeks b4..wat you suggest? should I visit to doctor or its normal?
Thankc

Brief Answer:
I will help..

Detailed Answer:
Did you do a pregnancy test?
Please do one now and tell me the result!

I will await your answer.

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 15 minutes later
last week I did,but it was negative

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am sorry about the delay...

Detailed Answer:
I am a little confused about the actual dates of your last couple of periods after reviewing your prior answers. You implied before that there was a period in early October, which would mean that this most recent bleeding is a little bit early. If I am incorrect, please let me know.

If you are having irregular bleeding and pain, and in the setting of negative pregnancy tests, then you need to visit your doctor. This evaluation should include an exam and an ultrasound of your uterus and ovaries.

I can help you further if you describe:
1. The dates of the FIRST DAY of your last periods - list the last three periods
2. The dates that you felt pain during the cycle
3. The exact dates of the pregnancy tests

I hope that this helps.

Follow-up: Discharge after having intercourse. Trying to get pregnant. What precautions should I take? 1 hour later
let me tell u in detail,actually in last dec I got married,and after 1 month my husband cm to australia n i got my visa etc after 6 months,so then I cm here,n last dates of my periods were 29th august,then 7th september,and now they were almost 10 days late,means having irregular periods, ..

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you...

Detailed Answer:
Yes they are definitely irregular. This almost certainly relates to irregular or absent ovulation. When this occurs, women experience of prolonged absence of bleeding, and occasional breakthrough bleeding. This is what you have experienced. This requires:

1. A visit to an OB/GYN
2. Ask about testing for thyroid disease, prolactin levels, and labs related to PCOS
3. You need an ultrasound
4. If you are trying to get pregnant, and are not ovulating, then you might need medication to induce ovulation, called Clomid

I hope that this helps!

thank u:) yea surely visit to doctor soon

Brief Answer:
Sounds great

Detailed Answer:
Good luck!