Discectomy done for bulging discs. Have had minimal relief from pain. Looking for suggestion

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In 2008 I had an L4-L5, L5-S1 discetomy for two bulding discs. I have had minimal relief in the pain and mobility. The question that I have is are there any new breakthroughs in surgical procedures or anything on the horizon that would show a benefit to decreasing, or reversing, pain in the lower back?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Discectomy is the most commonly used procedure for relief from back pain in case of bulging discs.
In case the back pain is persistent, you can consult a neurosurgeon and he may consider laminectomy to provide relief. An MRI scan will help in deciding whether any further surgery is required in your case or not.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.