Ask a Homeopath   »  

Disc herniation. MRI showing abscess in spine. Having Pott's spine. Could I take Olive Leaf Extract capsules along with AKT medicine?

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
Question
MY QUESTION IS TO A NATUROPATHY DOC:

Suffered from disc herniation L4/5, 2 months back.
A month later, on contrast MRI, discovered that I have abcess in my spine just below the herniation and my doc told me that I have pott's spine.
Since 1 month I am taking AKT-4 and I feel that my appetite has slightly improved.
My Q is that, can I take Olive Leaf Extract capsules along with my AKT medicine?

XXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Yoga

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Greetings!!

Having gone through your query, my answer is as follows -

To be XXXXXXX enough, I have not come across this supplement or herbal extract used very frequently in Naturopathy centres in India. The kind of Naturopathy practiced in India is more to do with external treatments and not to deal much with XXXXXXX medication or supplements.

Therefor I cannot give my clear opinion on the Olive leaf extract and its benefit to counter-act your Pott's spine situation. As per my research, as olive leaf extract is a strong anti-oxidant and also helps in improving your immunity, it might be good enough for your situation.

I advice to take this supplement for about a month and if things are all positive, you may continue, otherwise discontinue the same. Also make sure to get the capsules from the right source and they are genuine in their products. You may have to ascertain this, by emailing and asking for some kind of approvals or certification to prove their quality.

I will be glad to help you further in other forms of naturopathy.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS

Follow-up: Disc herniation. MRI showing abscess in spine. Having Pott's spine. Could I take Olive Leaf Extract capsules along with AKT medicine? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply Sir.
I ordeted vitamin shoppe(usa brand) olive leaf extract online after I read that it is has strong anti bacterial properties. I was apprehensive that it might reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotics which I am taking. Please advice.
What natural remedy do you suggest for my situation?

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue anti-Tb medication....

Detailed Answer:
My suggestion to you is as follows -

Please continue to take the anti-TB treatment as suggested by your Doctor. That would be the mainstay of treatment. Do not stop the same till your Doctor asks to. Parallel to it, you may take these supplements to enhance the effects of the same.

As I said earlier, we do not commonly use these extracts in India; therefore I don't think any naturopath has experience with this extract treatment. You may follow the instruction and guidance provided with the product. You should write back to them for assistance if needed.

As far as interaction is concerned, I am unaware of any known interaction with anti-tubercular drugs.

Besides the anti-TB drugs and vitamin b6 supplements, you do not require other treatment as yet.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS

Follow-up: Disc herniation. MRI showing abscess in spine. Having Pott's spine. Could I take Olive Leaf Extract capsules along with AKT medicine? 3 hours later
Sir which naturopathic medicine do you suggest to increase immunity which can be taken on a long term basis or probably lifetime?

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recommendations are below

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for a delayed response! I was busy and could not answer your query.

The recommendations for improving your immune system is as follows -

· Consume about 75 ml of fresh amla (Indian gooseberry) decoction or juice everyday to improve the immune system.

· Eat healthy, nutritious food everyday at the right times and do not vary your timings too much.

· At the same time, you also need to sleep well and manage your stress better with yoga practice.

All these aspects would help you to improve your immune system.
The decoction can be prepared in the following manner.

1. Buy pure amla powder; preferably hand grinded one rather than machine ground.

2. Take about ½ tsp of the power and mix it with 150 ml of water and boil it till water is reduced to 75 ml.

3. Cool it, strain it if required and drink the same at room temperature.

For any further clarifications, please do get back to my through email.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS