Dimpling, inverted nipple, breast pain, shape change, smooth immovable lump. Breast cancer?

Hi, i had never done a self breast exam before untill about 3 months ago, when i did i found my breasts were really lumpy. Being only 16 i didnt know much about breast cancer so i did some research on the internet but i came to the conclusion i have fibrocystic breasts and left it at that. But the past month and a half i have noticed some symptoms of breast cancer (dimpling, slightly inverted nipple, breast pain, change in shape) and about 2 weeks ago i found a large solid smooth lump XXXXXXX inside my right breast that does not move! Im really scared i have breast cancer and its literually all i can think about, i have no idea how to talk to my mum about it and im terrified of going to the doctor about it. Do you think i have BC?

Id really appreciate it if someone could give me an anwser.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

Its good that you are conscious about your breast health at such an young age. However, teenagers have a generalized lumpy feel in their breasts (due to hormonal effects) and it is normal. Some degree of pain, especially during the periods is also pretty normal. However, the dimpling or inverted nipple you are talking of are probably non-significant. If the solid smooth lump is truly there (apart from the generalized lumpy feel), then in all probability it could be a benign lump (not cancer).

That is why breast self examination is not recommended before age 20 years. Hence I feel that you have no reason to get worried so much.

Breast cancer in teenage years is rare but its better to exclude the possibility when in doubt.

To get this thing out of your mind, you need consultation with a doctor. Get the detailed physical examination and investigation like Ultrasound of breast.

The best way to get about it is to talk to your mother. She should be the best person to approach. Do not mention as you are scared of possibility of breast cancer. Just say that you are having some breast problems which are not uncommon at this age and needs to be investigated.

Hope I have answered your queries.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.