Dimple, pain or slight indent on the right breast. No regular breast checkup. What can it be?

On my right breast on the side facing my arm, I have a dimple or a slight indent. Also, there is pain. The other breast does not have it. I will have to admit that I did not regularly check my breast. I am an African American female.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A small dent on the breast with pain can be due to a benign breast problem like fibroadenoma or it may be indicative of a malignant change or a lymphatic blockage.
Dimpling accompanied by other symptoms, such as changes in breast size, visibility of veins, lumps or nipple discharge, should be looked into immediately. Some changes are normal during menstruation, but if these symptoms do not go away or are painful these need to be properly investigated.
You need to consult your physician for a detailed examination and appropriate investigations.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Dimple, pain or slight indent on the right breast. No regular breast checkup. What can it be? 19 hours later
I can give a little more detail. I am 45 years old and I had a hysterecomy in 2003. I would check my breast for lumps and there were always nothing and so I assumed it was ok not to get mammogram. I had noticed the indentation when i was looking in the mirror about a month ago and that when I saw the indentation. The breast has been hurting for awhile now. Now, when I put pressure on the indentation it would hurt too.
Follow-up: Dimple, pain or slight indent on the right breast. No regular breast checkup. What can it be? 2 minutes later
The question is what is the likelihood it is cancer? I made a doctor appointment for March 15th 2012
Thanks for writing again.
An indentation on the breast that too painful can be due to benign causes or due to a serious cause like malignancy. Screening tests like mammography are necessary to find out the cause. You can look for any other associated skin changes or nipple changes. Without investigations and a physical examination, it is not possible to predict the chances of it being due to cancer.
Please do not worry and go ahead with your scheduled appointment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.