Dilation and curettage done. Does it affect fertility?

I am 25 yr old got married 2 months back before marriage twice i did DNC so i just want 2 know whether tat will affect my pregnancy now
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

I can understand your concern for fertility after two D+C’s. It is true that an uncomplicated D+C cannot effect fertility but in rare cases, multiple dilations and curettages can cause some scarring at the top of the cervix or inside the uterus. This may effect fertilization or the mating of the egg and the sperm.

If you have any difficulty in conceiving then you can get a hysteroscopy done. In this a small camera is placed through your cervix into your uterine cavity which can be used to check for this problem and can usually repair the scar tissue at the same time.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health and waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Dilation and curettage done. Does it affect fertility? 59 minutes later
actually in 1st time D&C I didn't had any problem but 2nd time i had tablet for abortion but tat doesn't work properly after taking tablet i got periods but bleeding doesn't stop for 1 month then i took scan in tat we came 2 know tat some particles r still in the uterus after tat doctor suggested to do D&C... So i am just confused whether i will get conceive r not ?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 41 hours later
Hi Prathiba,

Sorry for the delay in my response.

The second D&C seems like a trouble, as you had to undergo surgical evacuation.

The risk is not major; I do not see a difficulty for you to conceive again. Ideally, you should be able to conceive normally now without any hindrance.

Hope for the best and positive things in life always.

All the best to you.