Dilated heart, leakage in heart valves. Doctors suggest valve replacement surgery. Can it be cured with medicines or diet?

Hello Doctor,
My father is 62 hear old and is diagnosed with dilated heart and leakage in heart valves. The Doctors in escorts have advised him to go for a valve replacement surgery. Please let me know, if there is any possibility of curing this with medicines or diet.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 28 minutes later

Heart valve leakage treatment depends on the severity and extent of disease.

Medications only help in controlling the symptoms associated with it and also to lessed the damage caused.

But to prevent any further complications surgery is the option and along with that medications also have to be taken.

During surgery depending on the extent of damage, valves are repaired or replaced.

I would advise you to go according to your treating Doctor's advice to prevent any future complications.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.