Difficulty walking and foot pain. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, i have extreme pain in the bottom of my food when pressure is applied. even the slightest pressure would rate as a '7'. When i take a step, it feels as though i have walked onto a sharp object every time. I have NOT stepped on anything so i am unsure what the problem may be. It is located on the ball of my middle toe on my right foot. I have had this for over a week now and am finding it extremely difficult to walk. Are you able to offer some guidance on this issue please?

Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of Morton's neuroma or metatarsalgia. It is a painful condition that affects the ball of your foot, most commonly the area between your third and fourth toes. Morton's neuroma may feel as if you are standing on a pebble in your shoe or on a fold in your sock.

Morton's neuroma may occur in response to irritation, injury or pressure. Common treatments for Morton's neuroma include changing footwear or using arch supports. Sometimes corticosteroid injections or surgery may be necessary.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/ultrasound/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

To help relieve the pain associated with Morton's neuroma and allow the nerve to heal, consider the following steps:
Take anti-inflammatory medications. Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), can reduce swelling and relieve pain.
Try ice massage. Regular ice massage may help reduce pain.
Change your footwear. Avoid high heels or tight shoes. Choose shoes with a broad toe box and extra depth.
Take a break. For a few weeks, reduce activities such as jogging, aerobic exercise or dancing that subject your feet to high impact.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.