Difficulty to take full breath while yawning or sighing. PFT test done. What is causing this feeling?

Hi, I am a 35-yr-old female, have been having episodes where I feel I can't take a full breath, even while yawning or sighing. I had PFT testing done and they said that my lung function was good for someone of my height/weight/age, but my oximetry level is only 72%. I don't understand how this happens or what it means for me and my future..
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to know if you have any history of Asthma/Anxiety/ Panic disorder/Chest pain/Hyperventilation.If yes, that might explain why you are not able to take a full breath.

Your pulmonary function test is normal , you say, which is good.

By oximetry level , do you mean SpO2 is 72%. The normal SpO2 should be above 96%. However, erroneous values are known to occur in patients with low hemoglobin levels, patients with false nails, patients with nail polish, patients with tremors ,shivering, or cold extremities.

I would like to know your pulse, BP and respiratory rate around the time your SpO2 was measured. Did you receive Oxygen when Sp02 was 72%?

Please visit a pumonologist and get your SpO2 level checked once again , preferably on the ear lobe and if low again, get an ABG(X-ray done. Have you been evaluated for Sleep Apnoea?

Meanwhile try to relax. Sign up for yoga classes or try mediatation/breathing relaxation techniques which might help you.

I hope I have answered your queries. I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

If you don't have any further queries,kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan