Difficulty to breathe deeply, pink lips, no discoloration, no history of asthma or wheezing, overweight

Orthopaedic Surgeon
44 male non smoker, 40 lbs overweight, blood oxygen 97, bp 130/77 I have been feeling that it is sometimes to get a XXXXXXX breath, not sure if this is pychogenic, lips are pink with no discoloration and did an hour on the treadmill today without a problem, no other symptoms, never diagnosed with asthma, no weezing sounds, any ideas?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 35 minutes later

You have provided with good information, but I would like to know some more things to guide you better.

1. Are you having shortness of breath?
2. Do you snore at night?
3. Do you feel you have non-refreshing sleep at night and weak during the day?
4. Do you have any chest pain?
5. Do you have swelling of feet?
6. Do you drink alcohol?

Kindly note that obesity can also cause shortness of breath as you described which may cause increased chance of sleep apnoea syndrome especially if you snore at night and have difficulty sleeping and weakness in the morning and increased day time sleepiness. Kindly fill in the details.

Your blood oxygen is normal as long as it stays above 94%. You need to try and lose weight. Try to avoid junk food, fried, fatty, oily or high carbohydrate diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise by brisk walking for 40 minutes everyday or join a Gymnasium and do cardio workout everyday, as these will help lose your weight effectively. Try to get 6-8 hours of quality sleep daily. Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol.

There is nothing to worry about now. Do get your blood glucose checked to rule out Diabetes. Your blood pressure is Pre-hypertension value which should normalise with proper diet, low salt diet, and exercise in few months.

If you have stress and difficulty in sleeping and mood changes, it will be wise to seek help of a good Psychiatrist to overcome your problems.

Losing weight effectively is the key to reducing this problem although you may need more investigations like an Electrocardiogram (ECG), Chest X-ray and blood tests as well. Do consult with your Doctor to rule out possible heart and lung disease. Also do get your blood lipids to get required treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries.