Difficulty swallowing, sore throat, coughing, hoarse voice. What could be wrong?

Hi, I have recently had 7 courses of antibiotics due to initially having bronchitis, then bronchial pneumonia, then bronchitis again and a series of throat issues thereafter. The doctor said it is possible that I might now have a viral infection in my voice box as my throat is very sore, I am having difficulty swallowing, I am coughing badly (no fluid on my lungs however) and my voice is hoarse. Along with the antibiotics he gave me Canesten Troche Lozenges, Biobalance immunova+ throat spray and Allecet tablets. All of the above mentioned has not alleviated any of the symptoms. I am currently also on antidepressants - XXXXXXX Trazodone 50mg, Lorien 20mg and Alzam 0.5mg. What could be wrong?

The other thing is that I have recently had reason to believe that I might be pregnant with my second child - my period has not come as yet, my breasts are swollen and sore, my lower back aches, I have headaches which I did not have before, I have white dots on my nipples, my veins on my breasts are prominent, my abdomen is swollen and I just "feel pregnant" (if that makes any sense!!) The home pregnancy tests have not tested positive as yet though so I am unsure what is going on. I have stopped all the meds for safety sake as I do not believe it is safe if I am pregnant. I know that the pregnancy test tests for the HCG hormone - but is it possible that with all the meds I have been taking that something else may be wrong or that it is the cause of a possible false negative?

Please help!!
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The soreness in the throat and a hoarse voice after multiple courses of antibiotics is most likely to be due to viral infection or voice overuse. Along with the medicines prescribed, warm saline gargles will help in early relief.
Such viral infections do sometimes persist for upto 2-4 weeks. So, do not worry. This will subside gradually.
The symptoms you are having may be suggestive of pregnancy but a urine test is confirmatory for it. The medicines you took do not alter the hormonal levels in our body and thus do not affect the pregnancy test at all.
You can wait for your period to be overdue by a week and repeat the test.
Otherwise to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.