Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I seek medical help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, my husband has had some difficulty keeping an erection just within the past few weeks. He has mentioned that he had some discomfort in his right testicle. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms though. We are wondering if he should seek medical help or not.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later

Difficulty in keeping an erection along with a pain in right testicle might be suggestive of an infection in the region like- infection of the epididymis, prostate, bladder, or seminal vesicles.

Seeking the help of a urologist at this point will be helpful to find out the infection early. Systemic antibiotics might be needed for the treatment.

It is best to avoid sex and maintain good hygiene till the infection is cured properly.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I seek medical help? 36 minutes later
thank you, he said that he only has this discomfort occasional, sometimes he thinks about it and then has this discomfort, he said that it isn't really pain but a "cramp" kind of feeling. He can't really define it.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Just an occasional mild cramp like feeling might be due to stress and anxiety or due to mild inflammation of corpus spongiosum. Excessive masturbation or any injury to penis might also be responsible for this.

Avoiding alcohol and caffeine will help in reducing anxiety and stress thus enhancing the sexual performance also.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.

Follow-up: Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I seek medical help? 2 hours later
Thank you for all of your help! Just one more question.
Occasionally he cannot get "as hard of an erection" as he can and cannot keep the erection. What are the possible causes of why this would occur? Thank you for all the help!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

The hardness of erection depends on the extent of blood supply that is going in the penis due to stimulation. Stress and anxiety have been the most common reason of lesser hardness.

Good couple intimacy is necessary to solve this problem.

In addition if the symptoms persists, perhaps use of erection enhancing pills might be considered. A urologist will help in prescribing the drugs.

Hope this helps.

Regards.