Difficulty in swallowing saliva

Within the last hour or two, it is taking conscious effort for me to swallow saliva.
I can swallow anything else with no issues.
This has not happened to me before. Is there something I can do, kind of freaking me out.

I chose GERD as there was nothing else to choose.

Age: 43
Height: 6'2"
Health: Excellent
Weight: 220
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have pain while swallowing?
2.) Do you smoke?
3.) Have you experienced this anytime before?
4.) Do you get Heartburn?

I would like to let you know that, Occasional difficulty swallowing usually is not cause for concern. As you said, Gastro Esophagel Reflux Disease (GERD) is one of the causes but other causes also have to be ruled out. Hence get yourself examined by a Gastroenterologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out other causes by running few tests like,

1.) Dynamic swallowing study.
2.) Barium meal X-ray.
3.) Endoscopy.

These tests will be done only if the doctor feels it to be necessary. Once cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

In addition to this, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Drink Plenty of water.
3.) Avoid caffeine, spicy foods, caffeine, alcohol, and smoking if you do.
4.) Exercise regularly for an hour daily and maintain a healthy weight.
5.) Avoid lying down immediately after having food. There should be a gap of 2 hours between your supper and bedtime.
6.) Have six small meals instead of three larger ones.
7.) Sleep with your head end elevated.
8.)Avoid stress, anxiety.
9.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.