Difficulty in swallowing. On medication for high blood pressure and depression. Is it an allergic reaction?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I sometimes have problems when I eat... seems some bread and XXXXXXX set it off... I can't swallow right, have tightest in chest and spit up excessive phlym..gobs that just has to come up..sometimes this last for 20 min and finally the food comes up. Phlegm is clear, but lots of it... is it a allergic reaction?

I forgot to put in my history... high blood pressure, on meds for that and depression.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy is necessary for diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

There can be two possibilities for your symptoms.

1. Reflux esophagitis leading to narrowing can lead to difficulty in swallowing. This can be caused by stricture of the lower end of the esophagus. This can also be due to motility disorders of the esophagus leading to regurgitation of food. Both these abnormalities can be picked up by endoscopy.

2. The other cause could be dyspepsia due to malabsorption in a postcholecystectomized state. This is quite difficult to diagnose. However supportive care is therapeutic and confirmatory.

Antidepressant medications can also lead to slowing of motility.

I hope this answers your doubts.